Take a locum tenens
assignment internationally

Change your perspective. Fall in love with medicine again. Travel the world. Or stay in your own backyard. For many doctors, answering the call to locum goes well beyond medicine. It’s the dream of adventure and travel. It’s the dream of taking your family along for the joyride. It's the dream of working a little less or working a little after retirement. It's a dream we can make a reality for you.


You can choose urban or rural—or most points in between—for your assignment in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Singapore, or the United Arab Emirates. Opportunities in the Caribbean and Pacific Islands are available on occasion, too.

In each locale, you’ll practice medicine in a different healthcare system seeing new patients and treating new pathologies. You’ll work anywhere from small communities in the outback of Australia, to mid-sized mountain towns in Canada, to larger subtropical metropolises on the North Island of New Zealand—our doctors tell us that the assignments are both rewarding and challenging.


Your pay rate and accommodations will vary uniquely with each locale. You may also select the placement option that best fits your needs (although you may be limited to the facility’s offerings in some locations).

Locum placement: You’re paid directly by us and the facility provides your housing, car, and airfare. This traditional model makes things easier on you and (if your assignment is less than six months) it means you don’t have to file a tax return.

Direct placement: You work directly for a facility. The housing and car is your responsibility and you’ll also be required to file a local tax return. With this option your “spendable cash” is about the same.

In Canada (depending on the province) you might receive a fee for each healthcare service provided, a fixed daily, weekly or monthly rate, or a yearly salary.


You can practice medicine in Australia and New Zealand only if you’re board certified or board eligible and have recent, extensive, post-graduate training or experience (three years or more) in a comparable healthcare system. You potentially qualify to work down under if your medical school is listed in the WHO Directory of Medical Schools or the ECFMG/FAIMER Directory.

In Canada and Singapore, you must be board certified or a fellow of the various colleges.

Prior to asking you to commit to a practice we’ll share a description that includes the volume of activity, the types of patients, the call schedule and information about the staff in the facility. If we’ve placed other doctors in the same location we’ll help you connect so you can share in their first-hand accounts.